Outdoor sports or other forms of outdoor recreations offer a unique adventurous experience to be cherished for a lifetime. No other activity to stay in the vicinity of natural surroundings can be as enjoyable as going for outdoor adventures.
While on one hand, careful preparations are required to be taken, on the other hand, what is of utmost necessity is to equip oneself with the absolute knowledge of the proper outdoor skills for survival and safety.
At times, surviving in wilderness with nothing may not be a choice.
Natural calamities, accidents, illness, etc., are highly unpredictable, and in unforeseen circumstances such as these, survival skills act as life-giver.
For beginners, it is even more important to know these survival hacks since they are new to both the activities and the areas they are willing to explore.
1. Basic Plans For Survival
Beginners must always plan their journeys by taking into consideration certain vital points, as enumerated below.
- Beginners seeking to enjoy the adventurous journey of staying in a forest must know well about which areas to choose as the camping ground. It is suggested that they should not camp under a tree but in a relatively open area.
- The next step will be to make a bed of leaves and to secure the camp to defend against any danger by learning the significant skill of making knots.
- Lighting fire, cooking meals, and fishing skills are needed to sustain oneself and satiate hunger and are, therefore, of utmost significance.
- Selecting the right contents for a survival kit needs to be made very carefully and must be planned in a way that the terrain of the region demands.
2. Ways To Survive Outdoors With Nothing
Many times while going hunting, trekking, or camping in the wild, an adventurer is left with nothing that could help him/her to come out of danger. In such tough situations, the following actions must be undertaken by the adventurer.
2.1 Quest For Water
Dehydration is often the cause of death among many who go for outdoor recreational activities. In such testing times, one must always look for sources of water.
The easiest way to obtain water is to press the shirt or any other piece of cloth against the ground and then collect the dew in a container or a bottle.
2.1.1 Rocks As A Source Of Water
Before dawn, you may spot dewdrops under the rocks since they hinder the process of evaporation and thus can obtain water.
2.1.2 Intake Of Watery Fruits
If you find yourself deserted in an area of scanty rainfall, you are most likely to find certain cactus fruits that contain water and aid in the hydration of your body.
2.2 Preparation Of A Shelter
The first and foremost thing to be done is to make a shelter out of branches in such a way to accommodate the individual.
Debris and leaves usually remain at disposal in the wild and can be used to secure the shelter by covering the gaps.
While camping, trekking, or in pursuit of other outdoor activities, food is that essential component that acts as fuel to the engine (body).
Adventurers need not worry if they run out of food since they can always have bugs that are quite nutritious and largely available.
2.4 Lighting Fire
The benefits of fire in the forested areas are quite well-known since primeval times. Besides threatening the wild animals away, fire aids in the cooking of raw food and also provide warmth if the surroundings are cool.
Lighting fire is an easy and quick process and can be done by rubbing stones with each other. The bow drill method is also another easy way to start a fire in an enclosed pit.
3. Survival Tools In Wilderness
The first article that individuals going camping in the forest require is a pot that may be used to store food or water. Energy is of utmost necessity and can be acquired by satiating hunger.
3.2 Sleeping Bag
Carrying a sleeping bag protects an individual from the cold or muddy ground and other poisonous insects of that region. It enhances the safety of an adventurer and also provides comfort in the rugged terrain.
It is always better to carry a knife before setting out in the rugged terrains. A knife may aid in cleaning fish or many other purposes such as carving spoons or bowls out of wet clay.
A saw has many applications, especially while going trekking or camping in the dense forests. It can be used to cut the wood into logs for the fire and makeshift shelters.
4. Basic Outdoors Survival Skills
4.1 Finding Pure Sources of Water
Intake of unclean or muddy water may lead to intake of germs and will result in illness. To avoid any such sickness, it is advised to look for pure sources of water such as dewdrops, snow, or raindrops.
Beginners may easily retrieve fresh water from the bark of a maple tree. Also, the branches on squeezing will release freshwater. These easy basic skills are required to be mastered by beginners.
4.2 Skill of Tying Knot
While discussing survival skills, it becomes imperative to mention the skill of tying knots since it will immensely benefit in providing security to the tents and also in setting traps.
With the help of knots, you can shift yourself and your weight downwards while getting down from a cliff or from a place of high altitude to a place of low altitude.
4.3 Methods of Transmitting Survival Signal
The dangers of outdoor activities are highly unpredictable. One never knows in which danger they may land. In such cases, seeking help by sending a signal maybe save one’s life at such critical times.
You are recommended to carry certain combustible materials so that you can send the visible signal through the fire.
Another easy way to transmit a survival signal is to use either the screen of mobile phones or any other reflective devices and flash any kind of light (including the natural light of the moon).
5. How Can Children Survive in The Wilderness?
During the vacations, many families plan their outdoor recreational trips in forests or mountains. In such cases, the safety of the children needs to be ensured.
The following points mention certain important survival tricks for children.
- The children must be trained to wear a special type of suit to keep them warm, also known as “scarecrow suit”. In high altitude areas, the weather may drop very low. In such cases, children may get afflicted by Hypothermia. To prevent such a happening, children are advised to wear insulate clothing.
- Children must carry a whistle with them. They must be given prior training in blowing the whistle thrice and then repeating the same for the next two hours. This training is very significant since they can send a signal that they are lost and will aid the family members in return to find them.
- In case a child gets separated from the other family members, the skill of shelter building may come to rescue. If they are taught beforehand the art of building simple huts with leaves, they can keep themselves protected in the wilderness.
6. Outdoor Survival Products
Adventurers must ensure that they are carrying with themselves certain vital products required in the forests, mountains, or any other areas of rough terrain.
Ensuring safety and survival is the most significant aspect of going on adventurous trips.
The following list mentions the products that are required to be bought and carried along the journey.
6.1 Portable Oxygen Cans
To create a continuous flow of oxygen, a battery-powered system is used in the portable oxygen cylinders, which contain compressed oxygen gas. These cylinders help supply oxygen to individuals having problems breathing due to high altitude.
6.2 Paracord Bracelet
A paracord bracelet contains with it an attached whistle, flint, and compass. It is a must-have tool for individuals going camping, hiking, and surviving.
The use of the bracelet is multi-faceted, i.e., it can be used to tie up a gear, make a shelter, can be used as a tourniquet, and so on.
Also, the attached flint and compass are used to light a fire and find the correct direction, respectively.
6.3 Bicycle Water Bag
A bicycle water bag is one of the chief survival tools required for outdoor recreational activities. It has a tube connected to the bottom of the bladder.
The main use is to store water or other energy drinks that are required to meet the safety, speed, and strength that cycling demands.
6.4 Sleeping Bag
A sleeping bag makes the resting period in a hostile environment quite comfortable. It has a very bright color and can be spotted by rescuers easily.
It can also be used in areas having a cool climate since the sleeping bag is insulated and provides warmth to the user.
The adventurers are required to use it with care. Otherwise, it cannot be reused the second time.
6.5 Emergency Blankets
Emergency blankets are a necessity while going on adventurous trips. These blankets are waterproof and portable.
7. Most Realistic Survival Show-Survivorman
Survivorman is a popular TV reality show that is produced by a Canadian. The main aim of the program is to showcase the difficulties and the means of overcoming these while remaining isolated at a distant location.
The program portrayed Stroud and revolved chiefly about how he survived alone in a hostile environment, with his support team overseeing him from a distance.
Besides displaying episodes of physical challenges, the episodes also portrayed various mental and psychological effects of mental isolation, tiredness, injuries, and homesickness.
The show was quite educative since it spread the message to the adventurers in particular and the masses at large that no matter how difficult the situation is, one has to take oneself out of the stranded condition.
While recording one of the episodes, Stroud himself had got afflicted with a parasitic worm infection in his mouth and had lasted over a year.
The show is quite inspirational and boosts the confidence of common people by telecasting episodes of bravery and the strong urge to live despite all odds.
8. How to Live in the Woods Without Getting Caught?
Certain points are required to be kept in mind while setting camp and staying in the wilderness for days, without rising suspicion of others.
- It is preferred to set up camps in the dark and not in the open daylight. Setting up camp must be done at a time when a little daylight is available so that they do not have to switch lights and announce their arrival.
- The color of the tent always has to be dark so that it has a camouflage effect and gets easily mixed with natural surroundings.
- It is always advisable to hide or cover up the tracks that have probably been left by your vehicle so that no one gets to know about your presence in the wood.
- Adventurers must be careful enough not to trespass the private properties.
- It is recommended not to camp at the same place for a prolonged period of time. The more you stay at the same place, the higher is your chance of getting spotted.
The significance of outdoor survival skills is immense since the life of a person depends on it. Mastering these skills imply that his/her life is insulated from any kind of perilous challenges.
While getting lost in the woods is a common danger, other unprecedented circumstances include accidents, attacks from wild animals, etc.
Succumbing to the challenges must never be an option. Thus the mastering of survival skills is of utter significance.
Drawing inspiration from realistic survival shows such as ‘Survivorman’ and instilling courage in one’s heart, an adventurer must set out for their journey in the wilderness, mountains, or other rugged areas.
Pack your bags, adventurers, and embark on an exciting and unique journey!
- Fundamentals of Wilderness Survival
- The 8 Basic Survival Skills Every Man Should Know
- Wilderness Survival Guide
- Top 10 Outdoor Survival Tips
Hi, I’m Vineet. Creator of DivinioWorld. I am an outdoor enthusiast and absolutely love researching, learning, and applying skills and knowledge in the real world. I started DivinioWorld to share everything I know so that even a beginner can follow the ropes and master the subtle art of outdoors adventure and survival.
7 thoughts on “How To Survive In The Wild”